Our sailing school students.
Choosing a sailing school is a personal decision, based on individual strengths and weaknesses, the type of sailor we wish to be, the time and money we have to spend and the manner in which we learn best. I must give high marks to the School of Ocean Sailing and I recommend them to anyone looking for a sailing school.–Cathy McIntire
The School of Ocean Sailing offers sailing lessons for the complete beginner with absolutely no sailing experience to the advanced sailor looking for a controlled introduction to offshore passage making or celestial navigation.
Sailing school students taking the program range in age and ability from 16 to 80 and from total novice to experienced sailor. Sailing school students age 18 years or younger must be accompanied by an “adult family chaperone”. There is no requirement that should eliminate a student due to physical strength, size or ability, but anyone with a handicap might want to call and speak with Larry to assure themselves that there will be no problem.
The instructional mission of the School of Ocean Sailing is to teach offshore ocean sailing and ocean navigation in a live-aboard setting.
- Personalized instruction from professional teachers
- Teach sailing aboard a large, beautiful and well equipped offshore heavy displacement ketch
- Teach navigation using modern electronic navigation equipment
- Teach navigation using non electronic navigation procedures
- Offer an ocean sailing experience under real ocean conditions
- Instil confidence
- Use high quality sextants and celestial navigation materials
- Offer a balanced blend of formal instruction, practical experience and relaxation
- Serve excellent food
- Anchor or Moor in quiet anchorages