FAQ’s / Frequently asked sailing school questions
- Your documentation states that the Ocean Sailing and Advanced Navigation course and the Celestial Navigation Course are offered the same weeks. Can I take both?
The courses should not be taken at the same time. Concentration in Celestial Navigation is a 100% effort. If you feel confident in doing a complete sight reduction at the end of the week, you may sit in with the Ocean Sailors on Radar and electronic chart plotting as well as weather gathering techniques. At times sailing partners sign up for the same week but take different courses.
- After completion of your Ocean Sailing and Advanced Navigation course will I be able to charter a boat on my own?
As you can see from our description of the Ocean Sailing and Advanced Navigation course, we cover everything there is to know about taking a boat out on your own. When you feel confident signing the bottom line of the Charter Company’s contract, stating you will take full responsibility for the safety of the vessel and it’s crew, you are ready to take a boat out on your own.
- Which charter company accepts your Sea Service Form?
We are not aware of ANY charter company NOT accepting our certificate. Our students have chartered from the Moorings, Sunsail, etc.
- If I want to sit for my Captain's License at a later date, can I use the time aboard the SAMANA?
YES, YOU CAN. Your certificate shows the documentation number of SAMANA (a 30 Ton vessel) and the Captain’s license number.
- What should I bring?
As little as possible … and no shoes with black soles, or suitcases with wheels !!!! Towels and bedding are provided. After booking the course, you will receive a list of what to bring
- What time do we report in for our course?
We expect you between 0800 and 0830 on the first day of the class.
- What time are we back in port on the last day of the class?
We will be back in Saint Thomas around 1200 hours on the last day of the course. If you wish to catch a flight that day, we can make sure you arrive at the airport in time.
- Will I have to spend time on provisioning, cooking or dishes?
No, all provisioning has been done for the duration of the sailing course. You can study or relax while Letty and Larry prepare the meals and do all the dishes.
- What if I do not want to do anything?
It’s better to not take a sailing school and instead look at Crewed Yacht Charters, a large charter yacht database.